March 20, 2005

free and for nothing

The contents table of the London Review of Books. Articles available online at this time appear in red. I’m not sure how much goes into the archive so that is worth a look too. I did check the subscription for this once and it is pretty expensive – a pleb like myself will have to go to the State Library ( or maybe the Carlton or City Library ) to photocopy other interesting titbits.

I decided to blog this because one of the online pieces for March 17 is called “Some of them can read” and is a review of a book on rats, specifically those in the city of New York. ( Parochial, non?)

One of the most chilling articles I have ever read in Granta magazine was about the rats Werner Herzog employed for his remake of the silent classic Nosferatu. Simply entitled ‘Rats’, in Granta 86: Film. (Unfortunately not online –get thee to a good library, go.) The sad thing is that it is probably not the worst Werner Herzog story out there either…

No comments: