March 12, 2005

the time has come, a fact's a fact

Now is the time ( that's right, I had a sleep-in and I'm reading the paper in bed), to start the drafts for the Blog Log. Wouldn’t be a librarian’s Techie Day Out without a log, I'm afraid.
( Is what librarians do all the time Mrs. Fawlty – Actually an incredibly useful idea once you’ve learned how to file your log away in a place where you will find it again. Aaah, library school!)

I have noted these kinds of musings scattered across the blogs I read – they remind me of the old song from Paint Your Wagon,
"where are we going, I don't know,
when will we get there, I ain't certain,
All I know is I am on my way..."

I’d like my Blog Log category to be a neat little parcel of similarly themed, Quo Vadis pieces. If anyone knows the Latin for ‘How did I get here’ I’d be very happy to hear from them.

David Tiley of Barista left a comment here the other day about litblog workshopping and what the content might involve – I think he has answered the question as well, it is about where it might go next. Sometimes. It might also be about 'the beauty of the way, and the kindness of the wayfarers" (apologies there Sam B.), as it is with most blogging.
Also for writers there might be some use in encouragement to see what tech tools like blogs have to offer before going to the trouble to sit clicking through several registrations and attendant fol-de-rols. We don’t have all day, do we? To play with Typepad and Mozilla, Bloglines and Feedster, to find out who Rebecca was and what she keeps in her pocket.

Let's face it, it takes time away from producing content which is publishable ( unlike this unstructured rant). So if someone will put up a powerpoint presentation with a few links in it to take away, why not roll up? ( Please don't worry, the next post in this series will be ruthlessly bulletpointed.)

David also mentioned he has organised a 'loose' gathering at Spleen, Tuesday 15 March from 6.30 onwards, at the top end of Bourke Street. All Melbourne bloggers and friends invited, I think - check it out.

No comments: