February 07, 2005

Although I do not hope to turn again...

Caught up with the Gaddis reading at last and pulled a couple of chapters of Steven Moore's book off the Internet to read. What an amazing book The Recognitions is, it is surprising that it is not better known or more widely studied. Or is it? Should I be surprised, after all Faulkner was out of print for a while. As I have already noted on the blog, perhaps there is not enough room for T.Recs on a university reading list that would automatically include Ulysses and ( maybe not automatically) some Beckett prose. A chase around the noticeboards, anyone? I just look in the Melbourne Uni bookshop de temps en temps, is worrying enough ( what ARE our students paying to read these days? Last time I looked it was The Story of O.)

2 comments:

dervala said...

Genevieve, you might enjoy Jonathan Franzen's essay on reading The Recognitions in his collection How to Be Alone. He titled The Corrections in tribute.

genevieve said...

Thanks, I've seen that referenced and will have a look. And thanks for dropping by!